Other than a natural sign of aging, hair loss can be due to family history, hormonal changes, side effects from certain medications or chronic stress. It can happen gradually or suddenly. Hair thinning is normally a long and slow process, thus the key to stopping hair loss is noticing the signs early and take action accordingly.
It is normal to lose about 100 hairs a day and they are usually replaced by growth of new hair. You probably don’t notice it except when you clean the floors. Hair thinning happens when the growth of new hair no longer matches the fast pace of hair loss due to destroyed hair follicles and replaced with scar tissue, you may notice this when there is excessive hair loss when you comb your hair or when you wash your hair.
The signs of hair thinning
- Receding hairline. You may not notice the difference when you look into the mirror on a daily basis. Pay attention to photographs of yourself and observe, your forehead is getting larger, hence hairline moving backward.
- Excessive hair loss when you shower or brush your hair. Don't panic just yet, it can be temporary. Jet-lag, stress, sunburn, sudden weight loss or fever may cause temporary excessive hair loss. If situation persist, consult doctor.
- Bald spots, noticeable patches where hair becomes very thin and scalp becomes more obvious. The parting becoming more visible.
- Thinning hair, texture of hair becomes thin.
What you can do at home if you observe signs of hair thinning?
- Avoid using hot temperature water when washing your hair, go for luke warm temperature.
- Avoid tight hairstyles, such as braids, buns or ponytails. Use multiple hair clips to section off hair so the pressure are not stained on a particular spot.
- Avoid compulsively twisting, rubbing or pulling your hair.
- Use a wide-toothed comb or detangling hair brush. Treat your hair gently when washing and brushing.
- Avoid harsh treatments such as hot rollers, curling irons or prep your hair with thermal shield for protection prior to heat treatments.
- Use suitable shampoo and conditioner which restore the right skin oil balance on the scalp to prevent follicle blockage and inflammation. Shampoo and Conditioner with biomimetic peptides can interact with growth factor receptors and provide antiaging clinical effects. Prohair Lab Intensive Shampoo and Conditioner. Avoid Sulfates in shampoo which can dry out your strands and make your hair brittle.
- Ensure proper scalp health massager which helps with removal of dead skin accumulation on scalp and improve blood circulation.
- Avoid medications and supplements that could cause hair loss. Consult doctor.
- Protect your hair from sunlight and other sources of ultraviolet light.
- Stop smoking. toxins generally bad for skin and hair.
- If you are being treated with chemotherapy, ask your doctor about a cooling cap. This cap can reduce your risk of losing hair during chemotherapy.
- Poor eating habits may also be the cause of hair loss. Pay attention to gain a varied wholesome diet. Fish Oil, B-Complex Vitamin (Biotin &B5), Iron, zinc, Vitamin C and Vitamin D rich diet facilitates hair growth. Hair is considered by our body as non-essential hence they are first to suffer and last to benefit. People who go on diets tend to observe hair weakening if not done right.
- Apply hair growth serum consistently and have patience. It may take a few months to see improvements.
- Heavy thick towels can pull on the weaker strands causing premature breakage. Go for the
Using Laser Hairband to reverse hair thining. Laser lights deliver therapeutic light energy directly to your hair follicles to stimulate hair growth, this home use technology is a good step to consider before considering more serious surgery such as hair transplants.
Increase blood flow to the scalp means bringing the needed oxygen and nutrients to your hair follicles. Invest in a scalp massager which not only improve your hair strength and hair shine but also relaxes your mind.